#1 Marriage is not between 2, but among 3:
• In the New Testament, marriage is between Jesus Christ as the Bridegroom, with His love being for the “Church – i.e. the body of Believers, representing the Bride;
• So too in the marriage of a man and woman – the Bridegroom is to model himself after Jesus –
•• by loving his Bride, as Jesus loves the Church; and
•• by his commitment to sacrifice – including his life, if necessary – for his Bride,
• Thus, marriage involves 3 – not 2:
•• Woman as Bride;
•• Man as the stand-in Bridegroom; and
•• the presence of Jesus as the true Bridegroom for both – and for man to model..
#2 In Honoring the Lord, Man and Woman in: marriage are to
• Honor each other;
• Essential to Honor is humility; reflect Humility with each other, as to the Lord;
• So too, Humor, and the easy ability to laugh – particularly at oneself!
Smile, if this does not come naturally – practice the art!
#3 Marriage is Being “Yoked Together;”
• As with the Lord – who teaches us to “take my yoke upon you and learn from me.”
• We are to be yoked with the Lord – whether single, or as Man and Woman in marriage.
• As with 2 or more oxen or horses, being yoked together enables the 2 (or 3) to:
•• learn together;
•• go in the same direction;
•• always be aligned side by side;
•• help and encourage each other, and pick each other up when they fall;
•• be stronger, as a rope of 2 or 3 strands;
„ combine, utilize and multiply our differing capabilities, strengths, talents and effectiveness, doing so for the “good” and in service to the Lord; FN 4
„ keep the marriage home a “haven from the world;” and
„ experience life’s journey and memories together. FN 5
NOTE 1: God’s aim for marriage is to provide for “help-mates” in going through life in this world as “citizens of Heaven” while working for the common “good,” and for His Glory – not necessarily to attain “ happiness” or greater happiness.
NOTE 2: While there is no marriage in Heaven – the plan is for both to be in Heaven, where they will know each other forever, and as having been former mates in life here on Earth.
#4 Marriage Provides the Training Center and School for Children
• Should the marriage be Blessed with children, all marriage basics must remain the same – since marriage was designed to serve as the model School and Training Center for children to learn. [Observe the deer and ducks with the fawns and ducklings following along, not leading the way.]